Flash Survey: Cart Abandonment
Do you use cart abandonment software, and if so, how helpful has it been for your site?
Analysis of Results:
We got more than a few "What is cart abandonment software?" email responses from this survey – so that seems like a good place to start. Cart abandonment software detects when a user places goods in an eCommerce site's shopping cart, then leaves without buying. Some software will respond on-site ("don't leave yet!"), while other solutions attempt to lure the user back by email (often offering the user a discount if they complete their purchase). With that cleared up, let's look at the results.
A strong majority of people surveyed (70%) do not use cart abandonment software. This is likely because it's either unknown to some people or because some eCommerce sites report mixed results form cart abandonment strategies.
Of those using cart abandonment software, about 38% found that it helps a lot, while the remaining 62% found it had limited or moderate impact. This corresponds with what we've heard anecdotally from a handful of Ecommerce marketers. One such marketer mentioned in a webcast that he had a 400% better return using Smart Offers, a revenue acceleration solution, than he did using cart abandonment software. (In the interest of disclosure, Smart Offers is a Spring Metrics solution.)